July 17, 2014
Chippewa
![]() |
| D Lo and Eric tape thank-you posters to the gym wall. |
Tammy and I came back to Chippewa in the morning. ARUS Rob took us, and some of the inmate raisers, to the gym where the activities would be taking place in the afternoon. While the guys taped thank-you posters on the wall and set up chairs, I test-played the video the men had asked me to make. (Check out my post about Puppy Days here to see the video: http://puppiesinside.blogspot.com/2014/07/one-year-already.html)
The piercing puppy cry in the opening scene caught everyone's attention. The men paused in their preparations, the room stilled as Queen's song, "My Best Friend," echoed off the walls. I glanced around at the mens faces, hoping my video did the journey of the past year justice.
Moist eyes all around were all the affirmation I needed, but Doug noticed something in the video that I caught right away when I put it together. The faces of the men in photos from the beginning of the program were reserved, closed - quite opposite of their faces in later photos.
"Everyday we have to put on our hard faces," Doug said. He said that in prison you have to be ready to "go to war" everyday.
What softened their faces? Puppies!
![]() |
| In the beginning. Dave and Eric pose with FLD August. Photo taken by Doug. |
![]() |
| Later. Eric and Dave with FLD August - a STAR PUPPY! |
![]() |
| In the beginning. Ro and Abe pose with FLD Sammy. Photo taken by Doug. |
![]() |
| Later. Abe gives FLD Zella a big hug. Ro is in the background joking with visitor Kim (left) and Robert. |
![]() |
| Tim and FLD Adell. Doesn't his smile say it all? |






There it is there....the small change that moves someone from convict to human being. The common denominator of unconditional love from a dog that does not know what someone did to be in prison...it builds self efficacy, belief in the power to change, rebuilds connections, gives pride, shows the results of hard work, teaches how to communicate more effectively, teaches how to take care of something and how to give back to society. Amazing program.
ReplyDelete