May 15, 2014
Baraga
Lunchtime was coming, so we went out to the yard to practice stairs. Tammy challenged the guys to use "release the tension" TAG-teach to help the handler approach the steps with a loose leash. She said that often we unconsciously tighten the leash in anticipation of our puppy rushing. A tight leash only makes things worse.
Tammy gave a little demo with FLD Harper.
Check out all these loose leashes! (Say that three times in a hurry.)
![]() |
| Luke pauses at the top of the stairs and has FLD Copo sit before heading down them. Sometimes asking the puppy to sit first helps to refocus, but it is not a Leader Dog requirement. |
![]() |
| Mondo walks up with FLD Axel. Nicely done! |
![]() |
| Mondo and FLD Axel take one step at a time - just like a wedding march! |
![]() |
| FLD Copo gets ready for a second turn with another team member. Do you think he is focused and ready to go? |
![]() |
| Steve and FLD Axel pause before heading down the stairs. |
Before our session closed, Black asked me if someone could take a photo of me with FLD Bear and his team. Ricky added, "We'd just like a picture of Bear's original raisers." (I was lucky to have raised Bear for a few weeks before bringing him to Baraga in January.) Although I prefer to be behind the camera, this time I obliged.
![]() |
| P and Black stand behind me, FLD Bear and Ricky. |
![]() |
| FLD Bear just couldn't resist giving me a lick! His team tells me that every time we come and Bear hears my voice he "goes crazy." |
The men talked to me about the things they've learned from raising FLD Bear. Black said, "I have three kids and one grandkid and I've never changed a dirty diaper! Can you believe that?" It was like he couldn't believe he was once that person. "And now you're picking up dog poop," I said.
Ricky said that he'd been in prison since he was 18 years old and listed at least six different programs he's been through. "I've learned more from this guy than from all those programs put together!"
Ricky said that he'd been in prison since he was 18 years old and listed at least six different programs he's been through. "I've learned more from this guy than from all those programs put together!"
Good job, Bear! I always knew you were special.









More like "Care Bear." That dog has touched many people! --LB
ReplyDeleteKayla's brother, Axel, is very handsome!!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! Thanks for stopping by, Kim!
Delete